Did you know a Building License is required by law?
Without a license, you are putting yourself and your business at risk. Master Builders SA can help. Below is an overview about obtaining your license. Confused or need more information? Talk to one of our friendly Advisors on 8211 7466 or email email@example.com.
Building Work Licence
Applicants must satisfy the Commissioner of Consumer and Business Affairs and meet the following criteria.
- You must supply a National Police Clearance Certificate, if you are a company or a partnership, this must be for every Director. (Certificate must be no more than 12 months old).
- You MUST NOT have declared bankruptcy. (Persons who have been bankrupt are not allowed to obtain a Licence until 5 years after they have been discharged from the bankruptcy).
- You must have sufficient financial resources.
- For Contractors: You will be asked to sign a Statutory Declaration that you have a minimum of $10,000 worth of assets.
- For General Builder: A letter of Eligibility for Bll is required by Consumer & Business Services for builders seeking a residential building licence for the first time (building classes 1 to 10).
- You must have sufficient business knowledge. To satisfy this requirement you must do two short modules: Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements of Small Business and Plan Small Business Finance, otherwise known at Master Builders SA as the ‘Contractors Licensing Units’. If you are a company, only one director needs to do this course. If you are in partnership then each director must complete.
Building Work Supervisor Licence
- You have managed building work.
- What you do and how you do it.
- How you plan, organise, direct and control building work.
You MAY be asked to complete an interview with Consumer Business Services. Master Builders SA can assist you in preparing for this interview through our Licensing Preparation Service.
Applying for your Licence
- Your Contractors Licensing Course Statement of Attainment.
- Any other Certificates (Example: Trade Certificates or evidence of previous studies).
- National Police Clearance Certificate.
- Resume listing your building work experience.
- References from licensed people or companies you have done work for (min. 2 required).
- Photos of some of the building work you have carried out (if available)
Master Builders SA is providing assistance to anyone obtaining or upgrading their builder, site supervisor or contractor licence. The assistance, provided by the Development and Technical Department, is aimed at up-skilling builders in preparation for their licensing interview.
We facilitate a one-on-one meeting and provide applicants with information relating to current day requirements, construction techniques and general building issues. We also explain and offer relevant sections of the Australian Standards.
The one-on-one meetings are set in a relaxed environment where we get to understand the customer’s needs and point them in the right direction. Our meetings are designed to simulate what a customer may experience when sitting an interview but in a stress free location.
The meetings are held at Master Builders SA, 47 South Terrace Adelaide.
COST: MEMBER $175 ; NON-MEMBER $200
DURATION: 1 HOUR
Eligibility for Building Indemnity Insurance
Please click this link to read the full document.
Need more information?
Contact our training team today to find out more about the courses on offer.